So let me tell you 10 incredibly nerdy things about me
I have been to 5 Star Trek conventions, a couple of which were in costume
- I own a 3-D chess set from Star Trek.
- I collect comic books, and can tell you in great detail where comic book movies deviate from their inspiration. I will also do that in great detail for any movie based on a book, and tell you how they butchered the book.
- I play RPGs (role-playing-games) and regularly make jokes that reference them.
- I spent my honeymoon going to museums.
- My idea of a perfect vacation involves spending large amounts of it in museums. Or book shops.
- I regularly go to Renaissance festivals in costume.
- I went to 3 midnight release parties for Harry Potter.
- I went to the first showing of Lord of the Rings, and then went again that same day to see it. It’s become a bit harder to do things like that, what with having to find a babysitter.
- I took as many history courses as I was allowed to without being a history major in college.
This is just a brief list of all the reasons I’m a nerd, I could go on and on. Tell you about the difference between Marvel and DC. Make obscure jokes about stat’s and explain how my dog dogged his int, but maxed his dex, and took all of the rogue feats. That joke would be hilarious if you play D&D.
So, why does this make me a good parent?
- I understand not fitting the round hole because you’re a square peg. Do you know how everyone looked at me because I liked school? I can understand and sympathize with my kids when others don’t get them because of their unusual likes.
- My kids are free to pursue their passions whatever they may be. So Princess actually likes fashion. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around it, and she has a different definition that I do of it. So, I take her window shopping from time to time. It’s like being tortured. But, I enjoy it with her because she enjoys it.
- I’m a little more willing to sit back and let them try rather than do it for them or push them harder.
- They have time to be a kid. I understand that being a kid is their job right now, they don’t have to hurry into being grown ups or going from place to place because their schedule is so full.
Now, here’s my caveat: I know being any type of person can be a good parent. The crazy hyper scheduled Mom can be a great parent. The sports obsessed Dad can be a great parent. You have to recognize what makes you a good parent or figure out how you can become a good parent.
And like many of my posts this is somewhat tongue in cheek, I find the more sleep deprived I am, and the more stressed I am, the more I tend towards giving silly answers to serious questions. So this weeks theme was 10 things you should know about me. I felt like being silly and serious at the same time.
Now, I’m off to make sandwiches because we’re going to the pool and then we’re making duct tape swords today………..
For the next 10 Weeks I will be joining with many other fabulous ladies to create 10 in 10, 10 different lists and ideas for the next 10 weeks. I am really looking forward to some of these topics to see what everyone else comes up with. Come join us with your own interpretation of the 10 in 10.