In fifth or sixth grade I decided growing up was for fools, and there was no way you were going to make me grow up. I then proceeded to read Peter Pan about a million times, and one time when we rented the Peter Pan video from Blockbuster I set up my tape recorder and recorded the entire Disney cartoon onto a tape. I then listened to that tape every night as I fell asleep for the next several years. So when I say I love Peter Pan, I really mean I love Peter Pan, and that is why I was super excited to have this be our book and a movie and I’m excited about our Peter Pan movie night.
Peter Pan the book
Wendy Darling has been told it is time to grow up. She is not sure she’s ready to grow up and when Peter Pan comes to take her away to Neverland she jumps at the offer, and brings her two brothers, John and Michael, with her. There they have many adventures with the Lost Boys, face off against the dastardly Captain Hook, and learn what adventure means.
Peter Pan movie night snacks
There are several different versions of Peter Pan you can watch (all these Amazon links are affiliate links):
- Peter Pan Disney cartoon
- Peter Pan live action (Jeff’s favorite, and probably most faithful to the book in spirit)
- Peter Pan musical (I linked to the Mary Martin version which I grew up watching, do not under any circumstances watch the NBC live action Christopher Walken one, unless you’d like to play a drinking game with it, but you might die of alcohol poisoning), which I am not completely certain how much of this is taken from the original play J.M. Barrie wrote.
- And Finding Neverland, which isn’t a Peter Pan movie, but a J.M. Barrie biopic, that has large amounts of the book in it, and is a real tear jerker, but I highly recommend.
This time we watched the Peter Pan Disney cartoon, and went for pretty much all ready made snacks. Some days, it’s hard to get super creative.
- Michael’s teddy bear- teddy grahams, which my kids love
- thimbles- Hershey kisses
- pixie dust- Fruity Pebbles, which my kids never get, because I’m not foolish enough to regularly buy them pure sugar for breakfast
- skeleton leaves (which the book says Peter’s clothes are made of)- maple leaves, which are always a big hit
- cannon balls- Whoppers
- poisoned cake- cup cakes (obviously Amazon does not sell ready made cupcakes )
- Rum- root beer (I’m not gonna bother linking to the sodas, that would be quite silly, the snacks are expensive enough on Amazon and the sodas are crazy)
- Pirate Grog- Coke
- Sea water- Sprite (so all the kids had favorite drinks)
Our Peter Pan movie night made me so happy. I loved it.
Peter Pan ideas around the web
More 6th grade books made into movies