A few years ago I participated in a Cooking Around the World group with a bunch of other bloggers. We traveled to all of the different continents, and had a lot of fun eating around the world. It gave us a chance to try out some recipes we wouldn’t have tried otherwise, and some fun homeschool geography lessons. When that particular group stopped, we continued, but at a drastically reduced pace. Then my friend Samantha over at Learn in Color asked me about these posts, and I thought, it’d be a good idea to collect them all together.
Before I get to our Cooking Around the World recipes I want to say a few things
- I am terrible at following recipes, so any mess ups of valued traditional recipes are unintentional.
- There are a lot of recipes you can find online, but there are also some amazing books you can find.
- If you can’t laugh at yourself, then who will you laugh at, so these are mostly written tongue in cheek.
- Some of the recipes were so bad I’m not linking to them, especially in Africa and the Americas.
Cooking Around the World: Africa
We had incredibly bad luck with recipes from Africa. So, there are not that many recipes from here, yet. I have a new plan for how we’ll pick countries to study, and we’re going to randomly draw a country from our Cardline game.
Cooking Around the World: Americas
While I could split this up into North and South America, let’s face it, North America is basically 3 countries, though I do have a few recipes specific to states, and where do you put Central America?
- Pao de Quejo (Brazil)- Ummm, I can’t read the other dish in this meal in the font, that’s terrible of me
- Hawaiian Meatballs
- Maple cookies
Cooking Around the World: Asia
Batman’s favorite country is China, and so we’ve done a few more countries in Asia than I’d realized. Also, I like Asian food quite a lot, even if Princess doesn’t really.
- Tandori Chicken (India)
- Green Tea Cookies (Japan)
- Korean Bulgogi (Korea)
- Hanoi Chicken (Singapore)
- Asia Notebooking Pages
Cooking around the world: Europe
We have quite a few recipes from Europe because when the kids picked out a continent to study, they asked to try Euorpe first, with Asia a close second. Also, we’ve got ancestry over in Europe, so lots of stuff we did.
I need to make our Europe notebooking pages, because Future Ticia 2019 is about to study Bulgaria with the kids.
- Spanish Chicken in Sherry (Spain)
- Chicken Cordon Bleu (France)
- Irish Beef Stew (Ireland)
- Make your own Gyro (Greece)
- Beef Stroganoff (Russia)
- Pumpkin Spice Scone (England)
- Swiss Mac and Cheese (Switzerland)
- Danish Meatballs (Denmark)
- Paella (Spain)
Cooking Around the World: Oceania
I kind of prefer the term Australia, and that’s actually what I taught the kids, but I wanted at least two of the continents to not start with “A.”
Yes, I am sometimes ridiculously silly.
- Rosemary Pork Chops of Yummyness (New Zealand we make this ALL THE TIME)
- Barbecue Chicken and Smashed Potatoes (Australia)
- Oceania Notebooking pages (huh, I guess I haven’t uploaded that yet)
Well, that’s all our Cooking Around the World ideas so far
At least until I update or recook a few of those older recipes. Like Korea, poor Korea has illustrations, because my computer ate the pictures.